Monday, August 20, 2007

100% Organic

I've been wanting to do an organic post for awhile now - I was going to wait until Earth Day, but hey, going organic isn't just a trend, it's become a way of life. And now, more then ever, hundreds of companies are realizing just this.

Thanks to my incredibly well-informed fellow beauty whore and recent organic enthusiast, Alex Asher Sears, for her astute knowledge and constant testing of the best organic products on the market!

Here are Alex's recommendations:

www.ethoshealth.info
ETHOS CLARIFYING LOTION
This Austrailian brand will start selling online to the US soon. For now, try Amazon or int'l sellers. The name is a bit misleading as it's actually a spray. Refreshing and toning.
From site:
"Ethos is: 100% free from: artificial colourings, artificial fragrance, mineral oils, parabens, sulphates, Hypo allergenic, pH balanced, Not tested on animals, No animal content."

www.korres.com
Korres Camelia Milk conditioner
I love all things Korres but particularly their conditioners. Never heavy, always nourishing.

www.californiababy.com or at Whole Foods and now Target
California Baby® Super Sensitive™ Shampoo & Bodywash
This is my favorite. Created for "babies, kids and sensitive adults" this shampoo is safe for chemically treated hair, soft on sensitive scalps and not only makes a great body wash it also is a non-drying face wash!

California Baby® I Love You™ Aromatherapy Bubble Bath
This bubble bath smells lovely and won't dry out your skin.
From site:
"No fragrance, scent masking agents, clear formula chemicals, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, or DEA."

www.methodhome.com - or available at Target
METHOD bloq shave cream - eternal optimist | citron leaf
I am fussy about shaving creams as I am something of a pro at cutting myself while shaving. But this lotion is incredibly moisturizing and I have been nick-free.

Method bloq body wash
Also good. I think I'm just a sucker for cool packaging.

www.purenecessities.net
Pure Necessities Shea Butter Hand Foot Balms
My aunt turned me onto this local line a year ago and I fell in love with their shea butter. Smells fabulous and keeps my feet sandal ready year round. This company sells online but has a store in Westlake Village.

www.drhauschka.com and other sites but I generally get mine at Whole Foods.
Dr. Hauschka
Rose Day Cream
For dry, sensitive or mature skin
-I have to credit my grandmother for this one. She's been devoted for years and buys three or four tubes at a time. I use it in winter when my skin needs more moisture. They've just released a lighter version which I may switch to.

Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronze Concentrate
Add a dab of moisturizer or sunscreen for a subtle glow that looks natural. I thought a good bronzer would be a hard find but this is fabulous. I'm very fair but it's ideal for all skin types.

www.juiceorganics.com - drugstore find
Juice Organics Apple Exfoliating Peel - once a week for soft skin. This surprised me because I thought the stronger stuff I used would be hard to replace.
Juice Organics DAILY NOURISHING MOISTURIZER - I use this after the exfoliating peel as well.

Weleda Calendula Baby Cream
Makes a great face cream for adults with sensitive skin. Also worth checking out is their Skin Food for something a little more emollient.

Rosebud Salve isn't an organic but it's ingredient list rates low in toxicity with the environmental working group. It's not perfect but close. A good reminder that using the EWG's www.cosmeticsdatabase.com (to read more about the cosmetic database, CLICK HERE) is helpful in choosing the best products. I'm searching now for a great organic mascara. And since I pretty much think the world of mascara, this will be interesting....

Thanks to Alex for these incredible organic finds... I, for one, can't wait to try them out!

And remember, organic is better for you and better for the environment! No toxins, no animal testing and no synthetic ingredients!

What are your favorite organic products? Leave a comment in the comment box below!

(above picture taken by Alex Asher Sears)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Skin Deep (the Cosmetics Database) just launched a new feature, so now when you find that great mascara you can leave a review of it on the site. That way others can see not only which products are healthiest, but which ones work the best too.

Anonymous said...

hey any good organic sunscree? or at least spf50 sunscreen without parabens?

Anonymous said...

Organic Fusion products - the lavender grace body lotion specifically.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin