Saturday, September 22, 2007

MASCARA: THE LOW DOWN

I don't know many girls who don't wear mascara. It's sort of like a rite of passage - I'm a woman, thus I can coat my lashes with a black (or brown... or any other relevant color) paste that will elongate my lashes and dramatize my eyes. Some guys think that mascara is a rite of passage for them as well, but that's an entirely different post.

Nothing makes me happier then a great mascara!

So, today, I'm gonna banter on the real deal with some of these mascaras!

Sue Devitt Microquatic Black Widow Mascara:
Claim to Fame - Thickening and volumizing
How it REALLY works - It volumizes but it doesn't really thicken. In fact, I sort of felt like it gooped instead.
Rating - 7 out of 10

Diorshow Mascara:
Claim to Fame - Super volumizing, lengthening and curling
How it REALLY works - Definately does all three. Loved this mascara until my lashes seemed to become immune. Also, not keen on the brush. It made it a tad hard to get close to the lash line.
Rating - 8 out of 10

Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara:
Claim to Fame - Oversized brush builds sexy, thick lashes
How it REALLY works - Oversized brush is two fold - it does make the lashes thicker but, again, it makes it hard to get close to the lash line, and it doesn't lengthen like Diorshow. I do like the blackness of this mascara though.
Rating - 8 out of 10

Tarte Lights, Camera. Lashes:
Claim to Fame - Adds volume, length, curl and shine
How it REALLY works - This mascara definately extended my lashes, made them bold and camera ready. The wand makes it easier to get into the lashline and really work on those timy little hairs on both corners.
Rating - 9 out of 10

MAC Zoom Lash Mascara:
Claim to Fame - Instant volume lengthens lashes and curls them
How it REALLY works - Does lengthen but the gooey residue left behind is practically unmanageable. I spent so much time trying to seperate my lashes that I couldn't really enjoy the length of them! But, hey, if you like goopey lashes, this is a great mascara!
Rating - 7 out of 10

L'oreal Double Extend Lash Extender & Magnifier:
Claim to Fame - 2 step - Basecoat extends, Black coat magnifies. 60% longer lashes. Smudgeproof.
How it REALLY works - It sure does magnify! As long as you follow step 1, the basecoat, which can seem a little tedious, this mascara will elongate your lashes like you've never seen! I, however, did find the process to be a tad messy, so you've got to take your time and be precise!
Rating - 9 out of 10

Prescriptives Here to Stay 24-Hour Longwear Mascara:
Claim to Fame - Lasts 24 hours, waterproof.
How it REALLY works - I have never, in my entire beauty obsessed life, found a mascara that really does stay on for 24 hours! This one does... and even after washing you face, a tiny coat still remains. Great for sleepovers with that special person. Also, wand is plastic (ya!!), thus it allows easy access to the lash line, creating longer, divided lashes!
Rating - 9 1/2 out of 10

Have a mascara that I did not mention? Review it and email your results to beautybanter@gmail.com!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE MASCARA?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice, Beauty Banter! I also love the effect a mascara can give, so i am always on the look out for new innovations in this product. This is the second blog to rave about the new Prescriptives mascara, so I will definitely check that out. Two I swear by are Maybelline Great Lash and Lancome Definicils.

K said...

I agree. Thanks for the advice:) I have been in the market for new mascara so I'm glad I stopped by

Dalia said...

I love Maybelline Lash Stylist Mascara. The v-styling comb is great to get into the lashline and small hairs in the corner of the eyes.

Anonymous said...

Oh you have to check out Fiberwig. I tried most the of masacaras you mentioned but none of them does the trick like Fiberwig. It really gives you that extension false looking lash that's clump free and won't smear. I love this masacara and definitely can't live without it. You can get it from sephora.com.

Joanne

Claire said...

I currently use CoverGirl Lash Exact and like it. I already have long-ish lashes, so it just makes them darker and more defined. It doesn't clump and I've never had a problem with it "migrating" to under my eyes. Doesn't hurt that it's cheap, either.

I've never really liked Maybelline Great Lash--by noon, there's always a dark smudge of mascara under my eyes, and believe me, my under-eye circles do NOT need the help. :)

tonkabeane said...

Oh thank goodness someone did a review on mascaras!!!!

I've wasted so much money on different mascaras and none of them are relatively perfect! It's slightly upsetting!

Now I can try mascaras that actually works!

cyntaylor said...

Bad Gal all the way!!! In the year I have used it, I have come up with little tricks: 1.) Benefit eyebrow duo with the 2 little brushes and little tweezers is the BEST for brows (for blonds and brunettes)but if you first use the diagonal brush at base of lashes with brow powder color it gives more depth to lashes, use across whole eye and blend along bottom; 2.) Shu Uemura curler on lashes then one light coat, gently pick through... let dry a few minutes, do something else) apply two more coats evenly. My lashes look fake and awesome every day and I have average lashes naturally. Only beef is that the average shelf life is about a month! I got a tip recently and it has worked pretty good, to put 1-2 eye drops of water in mascara tube, close and put over night in fridge...then take out an hour + before use...(don't pump..ever..)Thanks!! -Cynthia, Orange County (sorry so long! but so important! edit as u wish!)

cyntaylor said...

Bad Gal all the way!!! In the year I have used it, I have come up with little tricks: 1.) Benefit eyebrow duo with the 2 little brushes and little tweezers is the BEST for brows (for blonds and brunettes)but if you first use the diagonal brush at base of lashes with brow powder color it gives more depth to lashes, use across whole eye and blend along bottom; 2.) Shu Uemura curler on lashes then one light coat, gently pick through... let dry a few minutes, do something else) apply two more coats evenly. My lashes look fake and awesome every day and I have average lashes naturally. Only beef is that the average shelf life is about a month! I got a tip recently and it has worked pretty good, to put 1-2 eye drops of water in mascara tube, close and put over night in fridge...then take out an hour + before use...(don't pump..ever..)Thanks!! -Cynthia, Orange County (sorry so long! but so important! edit as u wish!)

cyntaylor said...

Bad Gal all the way!!! In the year I have used it, I have come up with little tricks: 1.) Benefit eyebrow duo with the 2 little brushes and little tweezers is the BEST for brows (for blonds and brunettes)but if you first use the diagonal brush at base of lashes with brow powder color it gives more depth to lashes, use across whole eye and blend along bottom; 2.) Shu Uemura curler on lashes then one light coat, gently pick through... let dry a few minutes, do something else) apply two more coats evenly. My lashes look fake and awesome every day and I have average lashes naturally. Only beef is that the average shelf life is about a month! I got a tip recently and it has worked pretty good, to put 1-2 eye drops of water in mascara tube, close and put over night in fridge...then take out an hour + before use...(don't pump..ever..)Thanks!! -Cynthia, Orange County (sorry so long! but so important! edit as u wish!)

Anonymous said...

Lash Injection by Too Faced. A.Maz.Ing.

beauty411 said...

Have to say my current fave is Rimmel Eye Magnifier Eye Opening mascara. It also has a plastic brush that really separates and lengthens as well as department store brands.

Unknown said...

This is a fab column. I have reddish-blond hair with fair skin, however, and even though everyone pushes black, it just looks cheap on me. Black-brown seems to be best for those with my coloring. Just FYI for those of us out there!

Anonymous said...

my favourites are cupcake cult and maybelline's great lash! they're great for everyday, and easy to remove. another favourite is maybelline's lash stylish, for the bold, false lash look; and covergirl's lash exact is alright. the folks at www.welovebeauty.com rave about everything and anything Benefit, and are even having a giveaway. they have some mascara advice, too! :D

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin