Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Review: Maybelline Lash Stiletto

Finding a great new mascara for a beauty whore is like stumbling across a great IPO for a wallstreeter. I get all giddy and excited and feel this overwhelming urge to run my mouth and tell EVERYONE about my new find... thank heavens for this site!

I like to mix up my mascara uses. Sometimes I opt for high end like Dior, othertimes I'm really into my drugstore finds like Covergirl. When hearing of Maybelline's newest mascara, I was anxious to give it a try (after all, Maybelline is a cult favorite when it comes to lashes - Great Lash Mascara, anyone?).


Maybelline's Lash Stiletto accomplishes many of the vital things that I really admire in a mascara. First, it lengthens like crazy - people actually ask me if I'm wearing falsies (this is always a positive). Second, it applies super easily without clumping or making my lashes awkwardly stick together. Third, it coats my lashes with a great, rich black (they call it "patent shine") hue. Lastly, it washes off super easily, without leaving that black "ring around the eye" effect.

Onto the negatives: Although the mascara lengthens for miles, it doesn't really volumize (I'm fine with that because whenever a mascara makes your lashes appear thicker, it also ends up creating clumps... and I loathe clumps!). If you're looking for a volumizing mascara, this is not the one for you!

Unfortunately, my biggest concern is that it has a slight tendency to flake off and land under my lower lash line. This is annoying, naturally, because you can end up looking a little racoon-esque. But I find that if I use a product like YSL's Toche Eclat after applying the mascara, it works to keep my eyes (and the black) in check. But I do wish that Maybelline would work on the product formulation so that it doesn't dry so quickly and flake off.

Despite the two negatives, I will definitely continue using Lash Stiletto -- I've even recommended it to some of my mascara-obsessed friends as a great alternative to their expensive brand choices. At $7.50 a pop, it's a recession-worthy necessity!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to try this for awhile now. Thank you for the great review!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin