While I've gushed over this season's side braid (click here for a recap), I'm also quite enthusiastic about the back braid. It's, again, simple, easy to wear, and automatically makes a bad hair day into a chic hair 'do. The updated braid is younger, fresher and entirely hipper.
“The Jason Wu hair look for Resort 2011 is a slightly tousled, modernized braid that is both innocent and sexy. The freshness of the braid complements the romantic florals and pretty plaids in Jason’s collection.” —Jenn Chiminiello for Aveda
As seen at Jason Wu's Resort Collection Show.
HOW TO GET THE LOOK:
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Brilliant™ Damage Control™ to add shine and protect hair from the hazards of heat styling. Then massage Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam from roots to ends to add body. Blow-dry with a round brush, curling the ends of hair under as you dry.
2. Use a comb to create a messy part wherever hair parts naturally. For extra volume at the crown, backcomb the roots with a fine-toothed comb.
4. Divide hair into two side sections and one back section. Create a tight braid with the back section of hair and secure at the end with a clear elastic band.
5. Take the left section of hair and lace through the braid, securing at the bottom with a clear elastic band, on top of the elastic already holding the braid. Repeat with right section of hair.
6. For layered hair, take any flyway pieces near the front of the face and secure with bobby pins at each side of the braid, behind the ears. Secure other loose strands into the braid as needed.
7. Finish by spraying the braid liberally with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray to keep hair steadily in place.