Friday, July 08, 2011

alex's eco-chic summer picks



I’m melting. At least that’s how it’s felt the last few days. And so, with summer in full swing, I've switched up some of my daily hair, skin, and makeup choices to work with the intense heat.

With wavy hair, combination skin, and an inability to leave my house without mascara, it’s all about finding the best products to make me feel put together when I’d rather be in the pool cooling off. And, as always, trying to do it all without parabens, petrochemicals, or synthetics.

Everyone knows by now that my love of green beauty knows no end, but I must say that when it comes to SPF, I don’t care if you go eco or not, just be sure to slather on a sunscreen with both UVA and UVB protection. (Lecture over.) Personally, I opt for Burt’s Bees SPF 30 and, if I'm staying in the sun, a hat to offer extra protection.

While I like the idea of facial moisturizers with an SPF in them, I swear by Dr. Hauschka’s Normalizing Day Oil ($42.95), which is SPF-less. So post-Dr. H, I use California Baby’s SPF 30 Stick ($14.99). For a bit of color, I’ll add a few drops of Dr. H’s Translucent Bronze Concentrate ($39.95) as I blend the sunscreen to cheeks, nose, and chin. (You can pick all of this up at Whole Foods, too.)

My tan is of the faux sort, and one of the best ways to extend its life is to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Year-round I adore Korres body butters, but I now add Shea Moisture’s Organic Raw Shea Chamomile ArganOil Baby Lotion ($9.99). The lotion, which has the consistency of Vaseline minus the petro chems, melts into the skin.

Most of my makeup favorites are by tarte - their waterproof and longwearing products stand up to 95 degree weather, like multiplEYE mascara ($24), park ave princess bronzer ($29), and Amazonian clay 12-hour blush in tipsy ($25) – which I’ll sometimes mix with dollface cheek stain ($30). I want to try their new clay concealer, but for now I still think Physicians Formula mineral line ($8.95) does the trick. For lips, I love KORRES lip butters ($12) and highly recommend picking up this great set which gives you three for $19. 
 
In this heat, I tend to keep my hair up (OK, I always seem to have my hair up), and so Goody Spin Pins ($6.29) are my go to. I’ll often throw on an elastic headband or pin back my shorter layers with barrettes by France Luxe ($9) - you can pick these up at J. Crew, too - or petite bobby pins from Goody ($2.99). For ponytails, I love the snag-free elastics from Sephora ($3.50), and the matchbook-like case that keeps them organized. If I wear it down, I spray on California Baby detangler ($11.49), and put it in a bun until it’s dry.

I switch purses often, but this summer, I’m never without a set of Spin Pins, Mrs Meyers Baby Blossom Stick ($6.99), a travel-sized tube of Korres Rice Bran mascara ($18), Revlon Superlustrous gloss in Firecracker with SPF 15 ($6.99),* and the limited edition tarte True Blood lip tint ($24). Both the gloss and lip tint can go from everyday to evening depending on how much you apply. The True Blood lip tint is my new favorite for a pop of bright color - and it also works well as a quick bit of cheek color, too. From day to evening, I’m covered!

For now, I’m off to sit outside and work by the pool - I suppose summer isn’t all bad. xo a.

*I know the Revlon isn’t an eco-pick but I am trying to find good SPF lip glosses. The search goes on.

2 comments:

mrsrpda said...

Yay! Alex is back. Always love her posts!

alex said...

Thanks! I hope to be here more often - have found so many new things to share!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin