Thursday, April 02, 2009

Topshop: Take a Look Inside The Hottest Stop In NYC

Here is a first hand account of the madness that is Topshop, NYC. Fashionista and Publicist extraordinaire, Laura Katzenberg, gives Beauty Banter readers an *exclusive* insider's look at the much-hyped opening soiree, the infamous store and, of course, the fabulous fashion!


"After a 6-month delay, the most highly anticipated store opening of the year, Topshop opened its doors today on Broadway in downtown NYC. Expectations were high for the London transplant…but sure enough, they “had me at hello.”

I attended the preview VIP shopping event/extravaganza with my dear friend and renowned stylist June Ambrose. While most of the celebrity attendees, (Jennifer Lopez, Paul Sculfor & Georgina Chapman) fashionistas, and socialites were drinking champagne, I got down to business.


The minute I stepped inside the 4 story, 40,000 square-foot Soho behemoth, I froze in awe of the gorgeous flowers hanging from the ceiling and the vast space filled with endless florals, stripes and sequins. There were almost too many versions of the perfect mini dress as well as some of the best YSL, Gucci, Alexander Wang and Burberry knock-offs that I’ve ever seen. The first floor is strictly Topshop so I really had to hold back until I got to the second floor for all the up-and-coming designer collaborations, such as Alice McCall, Reko and most significantly Kate Moss, the reason many of us this side of the Atlantic initially fell in love with the British brand.


Kate is now on her 9th collaboration with Topshop and this time she has brought her signature bohemian style to fashion for every occasion. From party dresses to quilted jackets and sequins to the nines, she falls nothing short of chic in every sense of the word. Most notable is her interpretation of the Thierry Mugler gown that Beyonce wore recently filming videos for her upcoming world tour. Truly stunning!


Riding up the escalator to the third floor and breaking through the clouds of fashion heaven was where I spent most of my time looking at over a hundred different styles of shoes. From boots with fringe, to platform pumps, neon stilettos and gladiator sandals… they have it all covered, it's really quite impressive.

But upon checkout the clouds turned grey & gloomy when I realized how much I'd spent. Those that are used to shopping at H&M might be a little shell-shocked at first. You really have to look closely at the tags because they start to add up a lot quicker than you think with items costing anywhere from $22 for a set of bangles to $400 for a trench, or even $90 for a cotton tank dress. I did however think the pumps were reasonably priced at $180.

My only other quip with the debut was that the sales people could really use a little help on the styling front… ironically its the mannequins that really bring the clothes to life.

All things considered Topshop launching in NYC is exciting for me, as I’m sure it will be for thousands of other New Yorkers. Although I got first dibs on a handful of winners, I will have to go back “on the reg” before I really feel like I’ve seen everything. Prepare yourself for the experience of a shopper’s lifetime!!!

Check out my exclusive pictures from inside the store and my fabulous purchases at http://twitter.com/laurakatzenberg."

Even a recession won't stop my Topshop obsession... can't wait to venture across the country and do a little (massive amount of) impulse shopping.

**Remember ladies, Topshop NYC opens its doors to the public TODAY!**

Thanks, Laura!

Click here for more exclusive pics and party banter!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oh, that is so drool-worthy.. In all of those pictures, I spotted something, and thought, "OH, I WANT THAT." lol. Maybe someday I'll stop in (fellow New Yorker!).

Melanie Ng said...

is the price reasonable? coz in UK it's pretty cheap but not in other countries..

Beauty Banter said...

not as inexpensive as UK, but less than designer duds. some prices are listed in the post.

xoxo,
Beauty Banter

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin