Monday, May 18, 2009

A Girl's Guide To.... Drugstore Mascaras

If you don't love mascara, there may be something wrong with you. No, seriously. Mascara is the gift that keeps on giving...

What makes a mascara magical?
Here are some of the issues that you, the readers, considered vital...


*Volumizing
*Lengthening
*Thickening
*Declumping/ Separating
*Color (that coats each lash)
*Wand - size, bristles and functionality

To drugstore or department store... well, the choice is yours but there are some amazing, fabulous, spectacular drugstore mascaras on the market!

For this edition of girl's guide, I've compiled a list of favorite drug store mascaras chosen by myself, you, our readers, and other fellow beauty addicts from around the web.

Naturally, this list will constantly change as new mascaras hit the market, so I'll try to post an updated version every month.

Here it is... All you'll ever need to know about drugstore mascaras!

CoverGirl Lash Blast $7.65
What THEY say: For volume - "Patented volume-boosting formula and patent-pending brush are designed to max-out each and every lash, leaving you with the ultimate big lash look."
What I say: I can't write this post without mentioning my coveted drugstore find, CG's Lash Blast (I know, I'm like a record on repeat). What can I say, I'm obsessed? Love the formula, LOVE the plastic wand, love how long and thick my lashes look after I apply. For more of my love-fest, click here.
What YOU Say: " It gives the best volume to my lashes than any other drugstore brand of mascara. The rubber brush is big but it delivers a blast of volume boosting formula to my lashes. It gives me big bold lashes without clumping. It's so worth the buy!" - Melissa Philipp of The Makeup Divas.
"Amazing volume - so good, you could wear it with PJs and look put together!" - Dana Mauriello

CoverGirl Lash Exact
$7.30
What THEY say: Defines and Declumps - "Brush is a patented technology with bristles that are aligned and clean, so you get the Exact look you want."
What YOU say: "It has the perfect balance of length, volume and definition, without clumping, even when you get a bit lazy about wiping the brush (which I often am guilty of)," says Carleen Pruess of Beauty and Fashion Tech.

CoverGirl Volume Exact $7.99
What THEY say: Plump and Separate - "Flexible bristles with microchambers surround each lash, to plump and separate-for expressive volume."
What YOU say: "I have long lashes and a few coats of this makes them heavy and thick as well! People think I'm wearing falsies, it's that good." - Henna Singh of Canadian Beauty

Loreal Lash Out $8.50
What THEY say: Lengthening and Separating - "Patented Lengthening Formula, with an advanced protein complex goes on smoothly, dries quickly and wears all day without flaking."
What YOU say: "It delivers perfect eyelashes and it dry's fast That's key for those who don't have natural lashes that go up
" - Andrea Gamble

Lumene Blueberry Curl $9.99
What THEY say: Volume - "A mascara which combines unique Finnish blueberry seed oil with the exceptional characteristics of an innovative plastic mascara brush."
What YOU say: "The brush is the best I've ever used. It's small enough to maneuver easily on the top part of your top lashes (i.e., the part that shows when you look down). The formula is incredibly moisturizing and curls my lashes nearly as well as my Shu." - Amber Katz of Beauty Blogging Junkie

Max Factor 2000 Calories Extreme Lash Plumper $11.99
What THEY say: Lash plumper - "A patented fat-inject formula and extreme Double-D brush plump every single lash so perfectly, so voluptuously"
What I say: Reminds me so much of CoverGirl Lash Blast I'd swear they've duplicated the product. Fat, bristled brush that's great for lengthening lashes, although I think that the CoverGirl version makes my lashes a tad longer. Although this formula doesn't flake or smudge - which I love.
What YOU say: "Makes lasher look longer & fuller without smudging." - Veronika G
"It gives me the volume I love, without the clumps. Just a really clean fan of pretty lashes!" - Amber of Beauty Noire

Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express
$7.50
What THEY say: Plumping -
"Patented MegaBrush and Collagen Formula plump lashes one by one"
What YOU say: "For an every day look, I love this mascara - it lengthens, defines, and adds volume in such a way that I've been asked more than once if I'm wearing false lashes." -Toya Smith Marshall of Life Of A Ladybug
"It makes my lashes full and lush, doesn't flake or clump and is so easy to remove
" - The Beauty Girl
"The volume is...crazy sick...looks like falsies. Love it" - Eileen of Miss Whoever You Are

Maybelline Define-A-Lash $7.95
What THEY say: Volume - "This zero clump volumizing mascara creates voluptuous volume with clean definition."
What YOU say: "Volumizes, defines, lengthens... It's just amazingness in a pink bottle for less than $10!
" - Michelle of Ellegance
"Amazing...seperates every lash while making them long and very full" - Katie Vaughn

Maybelline XXL Extensions $7.99
What THEY say: Lengthens - "This mascara creates up to 60% longer lashes and 11X the volume."
What YOU say: "Works great,I have average lashes and it lengthens and gives good definition
really bringing them out." - Meg Scharpf of the Glam Lounge

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Mascara $7.99
What THEY say: Sensitive Eyes - "First ever mineral mascara specifically developed for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers. Mineral water-based formula conditions lashes and helps prevent breakage."
What YOU say: "It was the first on the scene with the soft rubber brush and is absolutely incredible. No flakes, no clumps, no smudgies. Plus it makes my lashes so long they bump my
glasses! I stock up on it. Its better than any high end mascara I've tried" - Jami Shopf of Bionic Beauty.

Rimmel Glam Eyes Mascara $7.49
What THEY say: Volume - "VolumFlex Brush styles lashes for sensational volume and instant separation. Supple elasto-bristles groom each lash, lacquering them from root to tip for 7 x more lash intensity."
What YOU say: "It makes my lashes an incredibly dark black that really makes them stand out, along with amazing length and extra volume! People really notice when I wear this one. The packaging is cute, too, and the rubber brush isn't obnoxiously large like some are" - Jen Bee of Bare Budget Beauty.
"I have wimpy lashes and it lengthens, fills and makes them look amazing. Doesn't flake, just GREAT stuff" - Jami Cruz

Rimmel Sexy Curves
$7.00
What THEY say: Plumper, curvier lashes - "The first Triple Plump brush with 3 x the curves for 70% curlier lashes. Voluptuous brush with CurveControl technology wiggles easily through your lashes quickly coating them.."
What I say: Kate Moss sure knows what she's endorsing. This mascara is fantastic! The brush is thin and oddly shaped but it really does extend those lashes. Not bad on the flaking side of things, either. Thankfully, I didn't end my day with racoon eyes.
What YOU say: " It Separates, lengthens and curls each lash in a dark shiny black color" - Gauri Pendse of The Gloss Box


Add your favorite drugstore mascara and why in the comment section below and I will include your review in the next A Girl's Guide To.... Drugstore Mascaras post.

*And thanks to everyone who helped make this post possible -- you know who you are!


3 comments:

EricaB said...

The new Loreal collagen mascara is AMAZING! I really like the MaxFactor 2000 Calorie one, but this Loreal one doesn't take as much work (aka coats!) to get the same results!

Walky Doodles said...

LOVE this post! Thank you!

Mikaela said...

L'Oreal voluminous with a CURVED brush. That's the most important part - it really helps to load it on. I've been using it since high school, even with all the samples I get sent - it's my one and only true love & people always ask what I'm using. It's just delicious...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin