Friday, February 04, 2011

To Shop Or Not To Shop... In-Store Vs Online

I walked into my neighborhood Sephora today (Lexington Avenue and 57th Street), an activity I usually find relaxing and stimulating, only to be bombarded by rude, impatient shoppers, snappy shopkeepers and a messy display of my beloved cosmetics.... which led me to wonder, is shopping in-store become passe?


Well, I can tell you this, it is not the same experience as it used to be. While the aisles of Sephora used to bring joy to my heart and a smile to my face, while they now bring frustration and angst. The place is (for the most part) a mess, the fellow shoppers are gabbing away on cell phones, pushing into you as they stick their soiled fingers into products and the makeup artists don't seem too thrilled to be there. So, what are the pros of shopping in-store when I could just as easily be in the comfort (and quiet) of my own home making a purchase online?

In-store allows you to physically try a product. BUT, so many products aren't available in-store anymore yet they are available ONLINE. And most online destinations do have incredible return policies.

In-store gives you the ability to ask another living human being/ makeup artist/ expert a question regarding a specific product BUT in this technological age, you can get countless reviews and expert advise just by googling a product!

So, I have decided that from here on out - all of my beauty shopping will be done online. Better selection, more rare gems available, less noise, more comfort.

Here are some of my favorite online beauty destinations:

www.sephora.com 
www.beauty.com
www.drugstore.com
www.spacenk.com
www.barneys.com (beauty)
www.amazon.com (beauty)

What are some online beauty destinations that you LOVE?!


3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh I could not agree more! Sephora is an absolute disaster. I have recently become sort of smitten with leguidesante.com but the shipping charges are absolutely outrageous so you must buy in bulk. And I always love the shu uemura website, but mostly because I'm so depressed that they took all of their retail spots out of New York!

socialitedreams said...

i like in store because i can leave with the product instantly, but i've been going online more these days as well.

my fave online stores:
ulta.com always has good deals
sephora.com
biggirlcosmetics.com

Sassy Cosmetics said...

Thanks so much for the mention. This is a great resource. I found all the inside information from a site that help to get me madeup like a movie star. Have a look at the Makeup website, its great.
Sassy Cosmetics

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin