Tuesday, October 28, 2008

5 Simple Steps to Beautifying For A Special Evening

Here are the 5 easy steps I took to get ready for my birthday soiree... you too, can simplify your "special evening" beauty routine to these 5 steps:

1. Pick a dress... Luckily, I have an amazing friend (Kimberly Stewart) with a fabulous closet who was kind enough to lend me her "haute" Herve Leger... I figured black is back (has it ever really gone out of style?) and always sophisticated. After all, I was going for "cocktail sexy" sans the super slutty. And the look of the evening: tres chic with a healthy does of glam!

2. Spray Tan... Actor Nick Spano opened the first solar-powered tanning salon, Sun Lounge, and let me tell you, it's fantastic! Sleek, chic, and green! I'm not a fake tan sort of gal, but before a big event, a little color is key. Of course, it's vital to find a GOOD spray tan, and by good I mean, absolutely zero orange. I stepped into the Versus Spa by Magic Tan and after 3 easy breezy steps (and only 4 minutes), I was transformed into a golden goddess! More on this incredible, innovative solar-powered tanning salon to come later in the week - so check back!

3. Nails... My friend, Sarah Jane, recommended a fabulous little nail shop hidden on the corner of Fairfax and 3rd Street - Lena's Nail Shop - it's clean, chic and all about the nails! Best part, $22.00 for hands and feet! (More to come about my fab experience with Lena in a later post... cooling sea salt foot scrub, need I say more?). Color of choice - black (obvi)!


4. Hair... Obviously my favorite hair maven, Jen Atkin of the Andy Lecompte Salon, tended to my tresses. It was ALL about the flat iron curls. Long, whispy, hippy-chic curls to accentuate the mood of the evening - tres chic!


P.S. When attending a special event or party, I always find it best to go with hair that you a) compliments your face AND outfit, and b) is indicative of you. Don't go for trendy unless you're certain the look suits your style. For me, flat-iron curls are my default do - they never seem to fail me!

5. Make-up... I opted for a smokey eye and a light lip. Simple, yet elegant. On a special evening, you never want to get overly creative with your look. Stick to what you know works well - again, stay away from trends (i.e. Fall's black lip....), you'll regret the photos, guaranteed!


Here's how I created my look:

  • MAC Engaging Mineralize Eye Shadow as a base (I dusted the light side all over lid). I followed this with MAC's Ungaro Eye Shadow in Mineral. This color is primarily brown with a very light plum after-hue. It belnds amazingly with the bit of sparkle from Engaging. I used Mineral in the upper crease and just under the lower lash line.
  • Next, I wanted a thin black line - not cat eyes, just lash line emphasis. I opted for Make Up For Ever's Waterproof Eyeliner in Black. It's a liquid and comes with a very thin bristled brush so creating an even, thin line can be a bit of a feet - but a steady hand does the trick!
  • For mascara, I chose my new fave - Cover Girl Lash Blast (read my rave review HERE). Enough said.
  • For face I primed with Smashbox Photo Finish Light (oil-free!... the best thing to happen to primer since the original Photo Finish), then continued with Make Up For Ever's HD Foundation. I cannot stress how insanely incredible this product is - full coverage, never cakey, seemless application, and NO BREAK OUTS!!! I'm actually going to dedicate an entire post to my ravings! Finally, I dusted with Tarte's Hotel Heiress Bronzer - very light application as I already had the spray tan, golden effect to boot.
  • On cheeks, I chose to go with the unviersal Smashbox shade, Crush, from the Blush Rush line. Just a dab on the apples of the cheeks creates a truly blushed look without being overly bright and exagerated.
  • I used Senna's Lace highlighter (powder) on my cheek bone and brow bone, and created a V shape on my forehead to emphasize those areas. Shading is everything...
  • Lips were left simple. Just a gloss. I chose Prescriptives Colorscope Lip Gloss in Stylish which I layered over Stila's Lip Glaze in Grapefruit (an old favorite pink staple lippy).


And then it was off to enjoy the evening...

4 comments:

Phyrra said...

You look lovely!

The App Goddess said...

Wow! Hope you had a great time:)Thanks for sharing, loved it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Good job!!

Angel Lust PR said...

so glad you made it a point to state a good tan is sans orange!!!

I never understood tanning beds???

HAPPY BDAY!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin